Disney Consumer Products is looking to establish a set of standards for web-connected toys. The idea of establishing standards has received mixed reviews from other major toy companies. Web connected toys are now the norm but companies are left to their own
devices when it comes to design and implementation, according to Kenlip (Ken) Ong,
who until recently was Head of R&D at Disney Toys and Consumer Electronics. Ong was championing the standards initiative inside of Disney but is due to depart the company shortly. Armen Mkrtchyan, Technology Manager, Toys and Consumer Electronics, Disney Consumer Products, is carrying on the standards activities and will be speaking
on the subject and sharing Disney’s perspective at the upcoming Engage Expo Santa Clara
(Sept. 22-23). The conversation in Santa Clara will be the first open discussion on the subject. Perspectives, verbiage/jargon, expectations vary from company-to-company and
sometimes from product-to-product. The idea is to create a set of standards that all toy companies can follow when creating web connected toys. The discussion will address the
benefits and issues. A detailed overview of Mkrtchyan’s session is here.
- Engage Expo Blog has Moved to EngageDigital
- Location Based Services and Mobile Marketing Track Added to Engage!
- Engage! and Toy Fair Partnership Means a Focus on Digital Kids Product, Monetization and Marketing
- Engage! = The Tools For Reaching the Constantly Connected Consumer
- Early Registration Opens for Engage! 2011, Join Us In NYC Feb. 15-16th